Friday, August 12, 2011

Death and a Tiny Religion Rant

Sooo, my great uncle died this morning. He's been in a nursing home for a number of years, and lost the ability to recognize, well, anyone a while ago so I'm not too, too torn up about it (I didn't know him very well before that, anyways). Does it suck? Yeah. Do people die? Yes. All the time. People who are young and healthy and haven't lived a very successful life. Does it still suck? Definitely.

I just want to point out that while my family appreciates condolences and thoughts and stuff, if anyone specifically prays with me in mind and tells me about it I'm not a fan. I do not believe in that sort of thing. If it makes you feel better, go right ahead, but please don't completely disregard my beliefs and pray to a deity that isn't mine about me and then point it out to me. I appreciate the sentiment very much, but I'd rather just be in someone's thoughts than their prayers. Thank you. (Please note that I speak only for myself when I say this, I am not by any means speaking for my family, as I'm absolutely certain they all have their own opinions on this matter.)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... see, that's the thing. You usually can't tell a person's religion at first glance. To believe in one religion is to disbelieve in all other faiths, it's a personal choice. They're mutually exclusive.

    Anyways, when one says that another is in their prayers, it is usually a more intimate way of saying "you're in my thoughts," since prayer is something made with not only the mind, but the spirit. The mind can be cold and calculating, while the soul can be warm and nuturing. To this end, people say "you're in my prayers." It's kinda like saying "You're freakin' awesome!" instead of, "You're pretty cool."

    Ultimately, it's really not that much of a deal, in my opinion. And isn't asking them to keep you out of their prayers as much disregarding as keeping you in their prayers? :P Eh, just semantics, nothing more. No bad intentions, no harm done.

    Anyways, sorry to hear about your uncle--and so close to school, too. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete